Everybody loves music. It is one of the few things that every culture on this planet has in common. It doesn’t matter if you are a fan of big stadium concerts, classical orchestra or young street musicians – there is the right kind of music for everyone. In order to celebrate the beginning of summer and the musical diversity, more than 500 cities around the world host the Fête de la Musique on June 26th. The event was coined by former French Minister of Culture Jack Lang in 1982 as a motivation for the local music scene to present their music to the public at free concerts.
Tinkerbots wants to celebrate Fête de la Musique with a special playlist. Of course, we don’t want to hear songs about relationships or parties. Since Tinkerbots is all about robotics and futuristic toys, we put our focus on songs about robots. You may say: “Does this subject really matter to any artist?” In fact, there are many great songs about robots written by big music superstars. So, check out our robot playlist:
1. Kraftwerk – "Die Roboter": The German band has revolutionized electronical music in the 1970s and always played with their image. In 1978, the have even dedicated one song to the robots.
2. Daft Punk – "Robot Rock": Another group that plays electronical music seems to be big fans of robots. The guys from Daft Punk always wear masks or helmets which make them look like real robots.
3. Styx – "Mr. Roboto": One of the catchiest tunes ever is „Mr. Roboto” from the 80s rock band Styx, which was part of the rock opera "Kilroy Was Here". This song is a real karaoke classic.
4. Flight of the Conchords – "Robots/The Humans Are Dead": The funniest song about robots comes from the New Zealand comedy duo Flight of the Conchords. It’s about a future, where robots have survived the humans.
5. Radiohead – "Paranoid Android": Even though the song is actually not about robots, "Paranoid Android" is one of the best songs of all times. The title refers to Marvin, the paranoid android of the novel “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to The Galaxy”.
Here are more songs about robots in our Tinkerbots playlist: