This summer is all about sports. First, we saw Portugal winning the EURO 2016 in France and now the world is watching as in Rio de Janeiro athletes from 206 countries are taking part in the first ever summer games in South America. We are looking forward to see several new world records and emotional victories within the next weeks.
Here are some exciting facts about the games in Rio:
- 494 athletes from 206 countries take part
- The USA has the largest delegation with 554 athletes
- Tuvalu has the smallest delegation with only one athlete
- Within 17 days there are 306 events
- Athletes can win 4.924 medals
- US-Swimmer Michael Phelps has won the most gold medals of all times (23) and can win even more gold in Rio
- Golf is back at the games after a 112 year-long absence
- The Maracanã stadium in Rio de Janeiro holds the world record for most fans watching a football match (200.000 people at the World Cup final 1950)
The world is celebrating unity and sportsmanship in Brazil and Tinkerbots is celebrating, too. That’s why we created our very own robotic athletes and let them compete in some of the most exciting disciplines. As you can see in our video, we have build robots for weightlifting, parallel bars, horizontal bar and freestyle swimming and let them show their skills. Some of them even set a new world record.
If you like our fantastic Tinkerbots athletes, you should definitely build your own robot. It’s easier than you think. Because we only used parts from the Advanced Builder Set to build our robotic athletes. Put together the Powerbrain and the motor module, connect some long Cubies with the module by using axles and use more bricks and LEGO® in order to give the robot his awesome look. Now it’s time to let your robot perform an exercise that you would also find at the games in Rio. In order to break the world record, you can use the record and playback mode or the remote control via Tinkerbots app. Be creative and have fun building your own robotic weightlifter or swimmer. We would really like to see your sporty creations, so record a video or take a picture of your creation and send it to email@example.com.